Sunday, May 29, 2011

Regina Brett's Fifty Life Lessons: The Fourth Lesson


Lesson Number Four: Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.

There were so many people down there. As I climbed up the stage, all of their eyes were focused on me. I tried to muster all my strength and courage, to act as if I were confident. Sadly, I was not able to maintain my focus. When I heard my voice trembled the moment I spoke up, I forgot everything. My focus was then shifted to my fears, to the people's look of disbelief, to the silence that seemed eternal engulfing the whole auditorium. I became silent. I forgot the very reason why I was there. It was hopeless. My mind was blank. Eventually, I gave up. I gave back the microphone to the emcee. Then I climbed down the stage.
     I never knew, that that was my first act of going down everytime I am faced with every opportunity to rise up and proclaim my confidence to the world. That was my first act of losing, which had been followed by many losses. Until I learned to live that kind of life for more than twenty years of my life. Every decision I made was based on that fear. Every choices I made was based on that fear. All because I took myself so seriously. I took that mistake so seriously that it crippled the beautiful person I was supposed to be.
      Unfortunately, nobody cared about that mistake. Yeah, I forgot my line on that declamation contest, yet nobody cared. Nobody cared because no one took myself and my mistake so seriously. And I no longer want that.
     Now, I am no longer taking myself that seriously. Because it doesn't help at all. Never. As much as I want, I want to live my life like a flowing water. And oh, it feels so good.
     Get happy!

     You may wish to read the first lesson here.
     You may wish to read the second lesson here.
     You may wish to read the third lesson here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also love to read:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...