Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Regina Brett's Fifty Life Lessons: The Fourteenth Lesson


Lesson Number Fourteen: If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.

Regina says it clearly. 'If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it'. What is the purpose of every relationship? Why are you in a relationship? Simple. Just to be with somebody who loves you and accepts you as you are; who is not ashamed to be with you and is proud to tell the world that he/she loves you. If a relationship has to be a secret, something is not quite right in it. If your purpose in mind is to get serious with that relationship, yet it is not going the way it should be, it's time to pack your things up and leave. No relationship that starts not right will end right. Take that from those who had been there -- me.

Yup, I had been once in that situation. Naive as I was, I believed it was okay to keep it a secret at first because it would be brought up in the open once the situation would be ironed out so well. I was told so. But no. It didn't. Simply because the other party did not think my thoughts and did not believe my beliefs. It was I who was made to believe his words and made to think his thoughts. It was too late when I realized I was just wasting time, effort, emotions, and sadly, my dignity. I was just grateful it was not as late as not being able to get out of it. 

In a relationship, this would be my best advice -- do not let the other person belittle you and degrade you by yielding to him/her of keeping your relationship secret. Be aware that something is not quite right in that situation. Do not be super naive as I had been. Love yourself more than anybody else. Because if you won't, the other person would not do it for you. You always have the choice of making your life better by being in a right kind of relationship. Be aware....always!

Get happy!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also love to read:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...